In this lesson, we’ll cover the Custom Filters which help us look for specific things when crawling a website. In short, custom filters allow us to instruct Screaming Frog to search all site code for specific things such as text, a google analytics tracking code, etc.
There are two types of Custom Filters in Screaming Frog:
- Custom Search: Searches all website code for a specific string (keyword, number, etc.). You can choose to either “Include” or “Exclude” based on this search. Common use: Search for your Google Analytics code to see if it’s missing from any pages.
- Custom Extractions: Searches all html and returns data based on your instructions. for example, instead of just returning whether or not your GA code is on a page, it could return all GA account numbers on a page.
- Search for Google Analytics code to find pages where it’s missing
- Search for mentions of a specific item, product, etc.
- The custom extractions tool mentioned above is extremely useful but requires a firm understanding of regex.
Rick Maggio brings over 15 years of tactical, hands-on experience managing digital advertising campaigns both small and large. Rick has worked in agency-land and on large in-house marketing teams and loves sharing his extensive experience with the LDA community.